ACTIVITIES TO IMPROVE ENGLISH WRITING SKILLS
Any beginner who wants to enhance his/her English writing skills has to just start with “writing simple stuff, sentences or paragraphs”….
Why should it be so, it clearly means when you initiate your English writing process with writing plain and normal sentences you naturally will acquire the tendency to become more confident, gaining primitive assurance that you can write well in English.
Subject-Verb Agreements and basic stuff would become much more familiar and easy when you begin with writing simple sentences/stuff on Simple topics.
Say, to improve one’s English writing skills, one could begin writing with topics like…
* My favourite pet
* My favourite hobby
* My summer vacation
* The movie I watched last week
* My family
* My school days
* The last day at college
These are just basic topics where you have a lot of connect and moreover it is a bit connected to our emotions or feelings.
* Creating a habit of reading and answering comprehension, especially school level in specific would be an amazing way to start writing. This develops the interest to keenly observe a written or oral conversation and give accurate, appropriate to the questions involve in the comprehension.
* Inculcate the habit of texting to your family and friends, most importantly start framing letters elaborating on important or factual things in the letters, sometimes involving emotions so that you tend to explain more then you can also add on factual or eventual happenings in your life.
* Framing the short notes or key terms which are vital for your writing is one real time activity one should do to improve writing skills. This results or produces more clarity in your writings.
This may be either phrases, terms, linking verbs, so on…
* Practise writing or texting information to someone preferring it over calling them personally or over a phone often.
* Begin doing crisp and short sentences instead of being very elaborate where grammatical errors or doubts may probably arise. This improves your written communication skills in leaps and bounds.
* Avoid writing extremely boring or ordinary words like “really, very, because, actually, practically,…..” usage of all these kind of words is in fact a great inhibition to your growth in improvising your writing ability.
They drastically reduce your English writing potential, so I advice you to avoid these kind of almost dumb words which have turned powerless.
* Obviously, as all of you are aware of the fact that “Reading” also vastly helps to improve your English writing skills. The most you read the more do you develop your word power, the way or method/pattern of conveying ideas, logics or any kind of written creative stuff. Pick up books especially ones which are narrative, expressive with decent vocabulary essentially not carrying very high flown English. Novels or short story books would be the best indeed.
* To get more ideas or strategies to write better English you could read or listen to the biographies of writers and their process, how they started and how did they create their unique English writing style and patterns.
Hope these ideas and suggestions to improve your English writing styles from my side would be useful to you to initiate, track and form your own unique ENGLISH WRITING STYLE AND PATTERN.
Catch you soon,
Please do post me your queries in the comment box below.